Wash Walls to Freshen a Room Instead of Painting
The two-bucket method of cleaning
By using the following two-bucket method for washing walls, you will be able to transform a dirty looking wall quickly and do an amazing job.
You’ll need a sponge, three terry fabric cleaning cloths and two buckets. Old bath towels cut into square make ideal cleaning cloths. You’ll also need an all purpose cleaning solution and a stepping stool or a ladder.
Fill one bucket halfway with a mixture of all purpose cleaning solution and water (according to the container’s directions). Fill the other bucket halfway with clear water. Keep the buckets close to your working area and use a good ladder or proper scaffolding.
- Dip the sponge about a half inch into the cleaning solution. Don’t wring it out.
- Spread the solution onto an area of about 3 x 3 feet on the top left corner using the dry part of the sponge to catch drips.
- By the time you’ve finished spreading the solution on this area, it is starting to loosen the dirt. This prepping will do 70-80% of the job for you. Go back to where you started and go over it again.
- Rinse the sponge in the bucket of plain water and squeeze the excess out. The dirt from the wall will stay in the water.
- Take your folded terry cleaning cloth and wipe the sponged area quickly before it dries. This removes any remaining soap and dirt and helps to buff the walls so there is no streaking.
- Dip the rinsed out sponge in the cleaning solution and repeat the process on another 3 x 3 foot section until the walls are sparkling clean.
The cleaning solution stays clear throughout the process. It’s doing the majority of the work for you. The clear water is now holding the dirt from the wall. Replace the water when it gets really dirty.
By using the two bucket method for cleaning walls, you’re letting the cleaning solution do the work for you and then buffing it to a nice finish with the terry cleaning cloth. There’s less dripping, less streaking and you’ll only need a small amount of cleaning solution. You could have an entire room finished in less time than it takes you to drive to the store to buy paint